Top 10 facts about October
1. The Anglo-Saxons called October Winterfylleth, meaning the ‘fullness’ of winter.
2. The Welsh word for October is Hydref (originally Hyddfref), a word signifying the lowing of cattle.
3. The ‘October Revolution’ in Russia in 1917 took place in November, but at the time Russians had not yet changed from the Julian calendar.
4. The Hunt For Red October, with Sean Connery, is the only film with ‘October’ in its title ever to win an Oscar (for best sound editing).
5. More US presidents have been born in October than in any other month.
6. October in the UK is the Awareness Month for Lupus, breast cancer, national cyber security and domestic violence.
7. It is also National Cholesterol Month, Black History Month, International Walk to School Month and International School Library Month.
8. In the US, October is National Pizza Month, Popcorn Month, Pork Month and Sausage Month.
9. October is not mentioned in any Shakespeare play or sonnet.
10. “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers,” (Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne Of Green Gables).